The mission of the Sun Sentinel Children’s Fund Inc. is to equip individuals and families to escape the bonds of poverty, remove barriers for employment, and foster a community of independent, upwardly mobile and informed citizens.
This is accomplished through support of nonprofits with proven track records of programs fulfilling this mission and awarding them with funding, in-kind services and digital subscriptions.
Through the Sun Sentinel Children’s Fund Inc. awards are made to qualified nonprofit organizations in Broward and Palm Beach counties that meet one or some of the focus area below. Awards to groups will include a combination of funding, in-kind services and digital subscriptions.Equip individuals and families to escape the bonds of poverty
- Helping adults with low literacy skills, immigrants, refugees, youth and welfare recipients
- Supporting programs that transition low income children, adults and families out of poverty
- Programs supporting children, adults and families in the areas of education, workforce development and adult literacy
- Supporting programs that help the formerly homeless and imprisoned to move to work
- Helping people get the skills and the jobs they need to sustain themselves and their family
- Connecting employers who need skilled workers
- Creating job retention/stability
- Assisting with the advancement to better jobs
- Helping provide technical training
- Giving quality news access to underprivileged communities so that they may have equal access to information
- Working with educational groups/institutions to teach middle school and high school students to become responsible news consumers in the Internet age
- Developing civic engagement to the next generation of individuals, communities and institutions